Monday, November 16, 2015

Baby Girl Nursery Mobile

Happy Monday! I have a quick project I wanted to share for baby girl's nursery. First and foremost, Ross & I have been really careful to buy only what we need, trying not to get carried away with the craze of baby-galore 'omigod I must buy everything!' extravaganza. Baby stuff accumulates and adds up quickly! So for these frugal, minimalist parents, we've been really conscientious of what to buy and where to save money on. We've also been lucky to get a LOT of handy hand me downs (thanks Michelle!) so that's helped us keep costs down as well and we're truly thankful!

As for baby girl's nursery, we wanted to keep it simple and cost-effective. Ross & I bought her a white crib from IKEA (I loved the simplistic design and the pricetag) and bought the IKEA Poang rocking chair with footstool as her 'glider' for her room. I couldn't decide on a glider I loved and didn't want to spend the money if I was going to regret the decision. So the $200 pricetag for the IKEA Poang chair was the perfect solution. If it ends up not working out, I can always upgrade to a real glider instead! But so far, I love the Poang chair for what we need.

As for her dresser, she actually got my old dresser :) Ross came up with the idea of buying him & I new dressers for our master bedroom, since we were using handy-downs that I can't stand and we've never bought us furniture for our bedroom before! I loved the idea and have been bragging on him ever since, haha! Besides, I'm sure baby girl could care less what her dresser looks like... as long as it's functional, which it is. It's just not my taste. So it was a win-win situation!

Now that the furniture pieces were settled on for the nursery, I wanted to decorate just a little. I guess they call this the 'nesting' phase, haha. I found the cutest Nursery Mobile on Etsy. But the $40 price tag was a bit steep to me. Especially when it seemed like something I could make.

Let the crafting begin!

Here are the supplies I bought from the craft store: some cardstock, some fishing line (from the jewelry making section) and 2 metal rings, also from the jewelry making section that I guess are used for making necklaces:


Note that I ended up not using the blue polka dot paper. I decided on using the blush pink paper, the silver metallic and the gold/white polka dot paper as my 3 colors :) Here's a close-up of the necklaces I used for my base:


I stretched the 2 necklaces out to form the base then tied the middle together with wire. It's not perfect, but it'll do :)


Next, I googled the octagonal and triangular shapes, printed them on the pink card stock, then begun cutting out the shapes and gluing them together.


I traced the metallic silver paper and gold polka-dot paper and glued those to random sides of the cubes. Here are my 5 shapes with their random colors:


Lastly, I strung up the shapes to my base, and ta-da... a nursery mobile! For a final total of $10! And a weekend of crafting :)



It's not perfect, but that's ok with me! I decided to hang it over her changing pad for now with a removable 3M hanger from the ceiling, so it can be moved easily enough if I decide to later hang it over her crib. So that's that! A nursery mobile on a budget :)

*Kristin*

5 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! Good work! Will you share pics of the completed nursery? Good luck in the new few weeks- I can't wait to meet baby girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Love it! By the way, it's hand me downs, I think:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!! You are right. I didn't even think about it when I typed it :P

      Delete
  3. You're so crafty, I love how it turned out! What else will you get into during your nesting phase?!? Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looooove that! ps, if Ross feels nesty, I say paint that dresser white and add some new hardware (or spray paint that pink) and you'll love it again!

    ReplyDelete