Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Great Rentals

Ross & I have been on a roll these past few weeks with renting good movies! We are now addicted to Redbox and our egos are full and certain that our next pick will not dissapoint. Hopefully our luck doesn't run out any time soon :)

But for those of you who typically have bad luck renting good movies like me, here are a few movies we've seen recently that I recommend:

Unknown   Starring Liam Neeson, Diane Krugar, & January Jones
Plot (from IMDb):  A man awakens from a coma, only to discover that someone has taken on his identity and that no one, (not even his wife), believes him. With the help of a young woman, he sets out to prove who he is.
My Review: This movie was filled with suspense and action. I always hesitate with these movies because they start out with an easy-to-follow plot while you invest an  hour and half of your time, all while in the last 20 minutes, the entire plot unravels into a complete and utter mess. But this movie did not do that. It was suspenseful with twists and turns and the ending was a good one :)




Friends with Benefits   Starring Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis
Plot (from IMDb): While trying to avoid the clichés of Hollywood romantic comedies, Dylan and Jamie soon discover however that adding the act of sex to their friendship does lead to complications.
My Review: I was actually pleasantly surprised with this one, after not expecting much. Ross & I rented this after some of my coworkers suggestions. The humor was fresh and fun, while Ross mostly enjoyed all of the gay references made towards Justin Timberlake, since Ross is still convinced that Justin is gay, and Jessica Biel (his real-life fiance) is just a cover-up. While I don't much care for either actor, I fully enjoyed this movie, even if it did have a (spoiler alert!) ...cliche ending.


Just Go With It   Starring Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler, & Brooklyn Decker
Plot (from IMDb): On a weekend trip to Hawaii, a plastic surgeon convinces his loyal assistant to pose as his soon-to-be-divorced wife in order to cover up a careless lie he told to his much-younger girlfriend.
My Review: This was a movie I had wanted to see because I love both of the actors, but I was hesitant to rent it because the plot sounded very predictable/ trying-too-hard-to-be-funny, but I was proved wrong. It was funny and witty, and even though Adam's character annoyed me at times, the ending made up for it.  I'd suggest renting this if you're looking for something light and fun with a little humor mixed in.


And now, I saved the best for last :)


Water for Elephants   Starring Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon, & Christoph Waltz
Plot (from IMDb): A veterinary student abandons his studies after his parents are killed and joins a traveling circus as their vet.
My Review: When I first saw this movie preview, I was first drawn in by two of my favorites actors, Reese Witherspoon and Rob Pattinson (yes....I'm a Twi-hard, and on Team Edward! ha!). The plot seemed interesting too, with the love story mixed in, and I knew I would have to rent this one. I would probably rate this as a chick flick though, as I had rented it while Ross was away one night, but I'm tempted to watch it again, possibly with Ross. Not sure if he'll agree to that or not?! Anyway, the plot was filled with suspense, action, drama, love and everything in between. I also tend to love movies that take place in the 1920's/30's era, and this one fell in the time of the Prohibition Era. I loved the mix of emotions during the movie and found myself immersed in each and every character. I'd also like to point out that I might buy thise movie, which gives it a lot of credit, since I usually view owning movies as 'clutter' since I rarely watch a movie twice. But there are always one or two that slip through the cracks, and this one I may not be able to resist buying :)

Well, I hope you enjoy a movie night soon. I apologize if you've seen any of the movies above, and thought differently. These were just a few that Ross & I enjoyed!  If you have any suggestions of good movies you've rented lately, please do share :) Our luck is bound to end soon.....

~Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Read "Water for Elephants"...good book. And I haven't seen "Friends w/ Benefits" yet, but I'll have to rent.

    ReplyDelete